Wednesday, May 6, 2009

He Passed Away

May 6 2008

After a long working day; going on a tour with regional managers & all team members who i meet for the first time, presenting my role & how important it is for the team, going from H.O. to Marina to Avenues, having fun & smilling. After a long good working day I thought I should pass by granny - Dad's mom - and stay til dinner as usual...
It was 6pm when I got there, she looked pale, sad... I thought she wasn't feeling well since she has AZMA

Mie: What's wrong

Granny: Why did you come here!?
The question shocked me! she never asked and it felt weired!
Mie (joking): To say hi, you want me to go?! 5alas mat7ebouny?!
Granny: Why didnt go to Salwa*?!
Mie: Why would I go there?! Jedo & Tita** are both in Lebanon, Aunt Titi is at work, and sure Uncle 7amani is not there. Shall I stay with the shadows?!
Granny said nothing...
We watched the stupid turkish series on MBC (Sanawat El Thaya3) and stayed quite for a while; something was worried but I didnt know what until the phone rang...
Granny: Aloo.. Ahlan.. mno?!.. El 7amdilla.. AJERNA OO AJREK.. mashkour ma3 el salama.
Mie: WHO'S DEAD?! -I thought one of her uncles died because one was really sick; Allah y6awel b3umurhum-
Granny nervously: WHY DIDNT YOU GO TO SALWA?! I TOLD ... JEDO GHLOUM DIED!

...

Jedo Ghloum: is my grand father, my mother's dad.

* Salwa: His house
** Jedo & Tita: means Grand-pa & Grand-ma

...

I grabed my key, tried not to cry infront of the weak heart old woman, turned my car on, called cuppie & screamed: HE IS DIED! JEDO GHLOUM IS DEAD... WHY?! I dont KONW how i reached Salwa, i was crying all the way, divestated! I called my boss and cried telling her i need couble of days off and i cant go to any team gathering. I hang up, kept crying like a child! I was thinking of one thing: I didnt say "goodbye" before he travelled! How could i?!?!?!

Salwa... everyone was black, people grabbed me before i get in & said: Dont cry, your mom is not okay! dont breakdown!
I sat on the first chair i found, tears were falling.. thinking: When?! How?! Where?! Why?! And how did all these people know?! Does my brother who studys abroad know?! Akeed my couzins dont know yet because no one called or text messaged me?!
When cuppie came, i couldnt hold myself, i went out, breakdown, hugged her & cried saying: WHY DID HE DIE?! I DIDNT SAY GOODBYE?! WHY????
He died at 12:30 PM; I knew at 6:30 PM. I was the last member of the family to be informed & I still blame every family member for not telling mie!

Jedo Ghloum ... Words Are Never Enough
Jedo Ghloum is different. He was tall, big grand-pas' tummy, white hair, pointed noise, wide eyes a typical (3imy) man! What was very different, his voice tune! Sharp & loud, anyone would be shocked for that strong voice tune he had.
He was rised without a mother -died when she gave him birth- and his dad died i guess when he was 7 or nine years old. He had only one brother, A7mad who died 8 years ago. He had a small family.
Jedo Ghloum was able to be a great man & then build a great family; he did it from scratch! He travelled all around the world, and became friend with so many people. He married his love of his life, tita Kareema, in Lebanon 1958 and had five children one of them is my mom. He travels to Lebanon every year for 6 months! It was his yearly "getaway" he meet his old friends, play cards, drive around to buy some veges & fruits, walk in the village where his house is... He loved it & that's where he died.
Jedo Ghloum had a very special accent, because he travelled so much, he came up with his own language that used to crack us up! Imagine: Kuwaiti, English, Indian, Philipeness, Lebanon, Iranian & God knows! Mix them all in one language and you get Jedo Ghloum's language.

We would tease him for his name (Ghloum) because it sounds funny! When I grew up, he told me his mother gave him a She3y name though they are not because there was an old idea: If your kids die at birth, give a name from a different religious group & it will bliss him & live. Ofcourse he didnt believe in it because it's wrong saying: "If God wants me to live I will. But if he wants me to die I will even if they named me Jesus! But thats the way uneducated people think, we can't blame them".

Jedo Ghloum & Mie

I was the first grand daughter he had; I was special. He taught me to LOVE money, to always ask him for it & ask for more! Yet taught me how save for rainy days.

He was funny! Not only his language but also his ... things! Once, it was the weekly gathering at his place & we were in the living room watching Pussy Cat Dolls' "BOTTONS" when he came in, sat with us and when the song finished, he said with a tone: WHO CHANGED THE CHANNEL?! PUT THAT CHANNEL BACK!

He made us laugh, we still do when we remember but with a falling tear...

When V channel first launched in Kuwait, he would never let me watch it! Unless when I fool him & say: There is a new channel that shows the latest news! Channel 73! Must see!! When he turn to it, and V channel would show, he throws the remote near at mie & say: TGESEN 3ALAY YA KALBA! I laugh madly & do it again!

The funniest one on one story happened in Lebanon 2001 when i was 16; I was watching TV at our house there, he walked in with his angrey yet funny look & ...
Jedo Ghloum: Did you pray?!
Mie laying on a sofa: No..
Jedo Ghloum: Why?! Too pretty to pray ya princissa?!
Mie: I am pretty & a princissa, but that is not why! I cant, not feeling well!
Jedo Ghloum: You are good at nothing! all you do is stay late at night in one of your "7abarbash" friends and lay down all day then go to their place over and over!
Mie just nodded my head deciding to ignore him
Jedo Ghloum: Get yourself off the sofa & pray!
Mie: I told you I am sick
Tita Karema interferring: Leave her alone! she told you she is sick!
Jedo Ghloum ironicly: What kind of sickness prevents her from praying??
Mie mad angrey yalling: I GOT MY PERIOD! HAPPY??
Jedo Ghloum said nothing but smilled & walked away

He wasnt mean, I thought he was but I was wrong! He has the biggest & kinddest heart! Very .. No! Extremely generous with everyone & anyone. He never prevented his children or his wife from anything. Just because he didnt live the fancy life, it never meant that his family should not live it! He encouraged all his children to study & get bachlor degree even if it was from the States! He was very open minded but with normal limits & nothing was a must.

He loves Najwa Karam, went to some of her concerts, and when a song shows on TV he would turn up the volume.

It's been a year now...

His death was shocking because he was fine, he wasnt sick and he was happy.
It is a personal thing to mie because,, he is the first member of the family pass away. His death made mie realize the concept of death. Yes I believed in it, but I never felt how strange & sad it is until he died...
It shocked mie, and i remained shocked for a very long time
Maybe because of series "alerts" I had of him & ignored them?!
His death made me realize how quick & surprising death is; and life is too short to waste it on worthless things!
I paused & looked into my life, where I stand & what I want to be?! Action plan has to start right now!! And it did ...
I registered for my Masters Course then informed my parents about my acceptence, I quite my job & started looking for other oppertunities, I started this blog which I found pleasure in it, I believe in this: Life is too short to be wasted!
In the First Anniversary

Jedo Ghloum; in the first anniversary of your death i want you to know that I love you, will always pray for you, you left a huge space no one can fill, I still imagine that I will go to Salwa & see you sitting on your chair in the garden stearing at things, i still here your voice saying your signture "AHLAAAAN", I feel so happy when ever you visit my dreams telling me you are fine & let me hug you ... I am sorry for not saying "Goodbye" & hope you are happy whenever your soul passes by.


Yours,,
Mie Mie

اللهم ارحم موتنا وموتى جميع المسلمين يا أرحم الرحمين

No comments:

Post a Comment